Class B7 'Pug' 0-4-0 Saddletank No.19

Built in 1910, No. 19 later became LMS number 11243 and was sold in 1931 to John Mowlem for use on a major contract at Southampton Docks where she was named ‘Bassett’.  Four years later the locomotive was moved to London, re-named ‘Prince’ and operated at the Charlton works of United Glass Bottle Manufacturers Ltd.  Weighing just over 21 tons and a short wheelbase, Pugs were the ideal choice for shunting duties on docksides and yards where they could easily negotiate tight radius curved track.

Acquired in 1969 following 38 years of industrial service after sale by the LMS as 11243.  A trial steaming at Haworth showed that extensive work was required, so 19 became at static exhibit, first at Oxenhope and subsequently at ‘Steamport Southport’, the former L&Y shed.  When that organisation relocated to the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston 19 also relocated and is currently on public display there, restored to exhibition condition.  Sponsorship is sought for restoration of this locomotive.

Gallery - click the image to view ..