LYR 1474 Hughes taper-end Brake Third

LYR 1474 Hughes taper-end Brake Third (L&YR) built 1910 (Newton Heath) bogie brake third with 5 passenger compartments and one Guard compartment.  Used initially on Leeds, Bradford, Liverpool express trains.  Several lasted into British Railways days in passenger service but this, the last one, had been downgraded to a Mess Van.  Acquired from British Railways Departmental Service in 1965, restoration completed in 1993.

Since 1993 many 'finishing touches' have been applied, although after more that 20 years in service some maintenance is expected.  Luggage racks have been assembled from brackets specially cast, fitted with woven wire panels and wooden poles with replica end fastenings into the side panels. The end fastenings were manufactured from originals found in an L&Y coach body in Scotland which had been use as a hen house after being sold from the works at Inverurie.

In addition a full body repaint has been completed using the correct shades of colour and the style of ‘decals’ as used on 1507 and 47.  1474 had no electrical or heating systems when acquired, an electric lighting system was installed in the 1980's powered by static batteries which required charging before use, an alternator has been installed for battery charging, based on the design used on Club Carriage 47.

The heating system has now been fully reinstated and is now fully operational and apparently very efficient.  The mean by which rain is cleared from the roof has now reverted to the original L&Y design, with some repanelling work found necessary.

The costs have been met from the Trust’s General Funds, donations towards this cost would be most welcome.

Normally on public display in Oxenhope Exhibition Shed on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, expected to be in use on the Worth Valley’s Vintage Trains and special events.

Gallery - click the image to view ..